This project marked the third major tank replacement design Brockenbrough provided for Craney Island Fuel Terminal dating back to the 1980’s. The project provided 400,000 barrels of JP-5/F-76 storage and an additional 70,000 barrels of Reclaimed Fuel Oil (FOR) storage.
The new tanks replaced nineteen circa 1917 riveted steel tanks. The new facility includes two 8,400 gpm pump pads, centralized controls and an upgraded FOR pumphouse. With careful phasing, Brockenbrough was able to locate the new JP-5/F-76 tanks on the same site as the existing tanks. Other project highlights included modifications to 13.2 kV primary power distribution system, vehicle access to all containment dikes and a piping configuration to allow conversion between products.